Hatha Yoga Today
Hatha Yoga, the most popular form of Yoga today, emphasizes health and well-being through breathing exercises, special postures (called asanas), relaxation and concentration. Our Hatha Yoga classes are unique for their attention to modern anatomical and postural considerations. We use modern sports biomechanics to inform our teaching and ensure you improved postural wellbeing. If you have any particular back complaints or considerations please ask to speak to Gauri for practice advice.
While Yoga evolved as a spiritual practice, in the West it has grown popular as a form of purely physical exercise. Some Western practice has little or nothing to do with Hinduism or spirituality, but is simply a way of keeping healthy and fit. This differs from the traditional Eastern view of Yoga.
Hatha yoga, also known as Hatha Vidya, is a particular system of Yoga propagated by Swami Swatmarama, a yogic sage of the 15th century in India. It is part of the Hindu traditions of Yoga and Tantra, and is a path of spiritual realization leading to the ultimate goal of Raja Yoga, or contemplation of the One Reality. It is what most people associate with the word "Yoga" and is mainly practiced for mental tranquility, physical health and all around vitality.
Origins of Hatha Yoga
Gorakhnath, is considered the greatest guru of Hatha Yoga; he lived about 1000 AD and probably developed the primary breathing exercises and postures of Hatha Yoga. The oldest extant complete work on Hatha Yoga is the Hatha Yoga Pradipika (Light on Hatha Yoga) composed in the 15th century. What most people simply refer to as "yoga" is, in fact, Hatha Yoga. The earliest Yogas were ascetic practices meant to accumulate psychic powers called siddhis.
For our course dates and details refer to our List of Courses
Schedule: Hatha Yoga
- Monday 14:15—15:15 — Mixed levels | Maria
- Monday 14:15—15:15 — Introductory | Nerea
- Monday 19:00—20:00 — Introductory | Bénédicte
- Monday 19:30—20:30 — General | Carmen
- Tuesday 11:00—12:00 — Beginner | Charo
- Tuesday 14:15—15:15 — General | Mabel
- Tuesday 15:30—16:30 — Beginner | Françoise
- Tuesday 17:50—18:50 — General | Gayatri
- Tuesday 19:00—20:00 — Mixed levels | Maria
- Wednesday 14:15—15:15 — General | Bénédicte
- Wednesday 19:30—20:30 — Beginner | Bénédicte
- Thursday 11:00—12:00 — General | Charo
- Thursday 14:15—15:15 — Mixed levels | Mabel
- Thursday 15:30—16:30 — General | Françoise
- Thursday 17:50—18:50 — General | Gayatri
- Thursday 20:15—21:15 — General | Maria
- Friday 14:15—15:15 — Advanced | Mabel
- Friday 19:00—20:30 — General | Gauri
- Saturday 12:00—13:30 — General | Gauri