The method takes its name from Joseph Pilates. The practice strengthens the abdominal and pelvic floor as well as aligning the body. In the Yoga-Pilates class aspects of Yoga and Pilates fuse to bring a new experience of your body and mind.
As for the actual exercises, it is the way in which they are done that is unique. When you look at a series of Yoga Pilates exercises you will recognize movements taken from dance, yoga, and gymnastics. 5-12 repetitions of each exercise are performed in a precise and controlled manner -- with proper breathing.
The kind of focus upon the quality and precision of movement is what athletes and dancers regularly do, and that is exactly what sets Yoga-Pilates apart from most other "exercise" programs.
Pilates said. "This practice executed in a fluid style will transform your bodies and reduce aging. There will be a significant improvement in posture, strength, endurance, flexibility and in how you feel."
The key points to this teaching are:
- Stabilization, through opposing movements.
- Control of body movements.
- Concentration or the intention to create awareness in every body movement.
- Fluidity or efficiency of the continuous movements.
- Breathing, provides support and strengthens the core and intensifies body movement.
- Accuracy, attention to optimal alignment of the body as a whole, doing exercises in a conscious way.
"A few well designed movements, properly performed in a balanced sequence, amount to hours of sloppy calisthenics or forced contortions." - Joseph Pilates.
The founder and creator of this method was Joseph Pilates, who suffered asthma and rickets in childhood. He devised this system to strengthen your body, and he dedicated his life to sports and the improvement of its method. Pilates found that exercising the muscles of the body's control center, managed to strengthen and tone the entire body while providing a great physical and mental.
For our course dates and details refer to our List of Courses
- Monday 09:30—10:30 — Beginner | Gayatri
- Monday 14:15—15:15 — General | Mabel
- Tuesday 19:00—20:00 — General | Gayatri
- Wednesday 09:30—10:30 — Beginner | Gayatri
- Wednesday 14:15—15:15 — General | Mabel
- Thursday 19:00—20:00 — General | Gayatri